ads simply 970x270

Advertisement

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Writing an Early Retirement Letter (with Sample)

Advertisement
Sample Early Retirement Letter
Early Retirement Letter
After putting years of work into your career, taking your well-deserved retirement can be one of the most exciting times in your life. While most people take retirement anywhere between the ages of 55-62, there are those who need to take it earlier than usual. When it is retirement time, it can definitely be a bittersweet period that is met with mixed emotions.

Gather Your Thoughts

The first thing you need to do when you know that you are going to retire is to write a formal retirement letter to your employer. This is a basic letter informing the company that you are no longer going to be working in the position you hold. The letter should be very specific and give them the details the company needs, like the date of your departure. Make sure to get all your thoughts together before writing a letter of this nature and to be clear and precise in wording.

Clearly State Your Intention to Leave!

The letter needs to be addressed to the person in HR or other department who is responsible for employees and their comings and goings. Even though this is not an overly formal letter, you need to address the letter properly with companies address clearly displayed. There should also be a subject line and this should state that this is a retirement letter. Clearly state your intention to leave and the date for your departure within the first few sentences. Be clear and to the point early and put other details in later.
After all the details of address and subject lines are addressed, it needs to have a salutation. Always start a letter with “Dear” and then the name of the person who it goes too. While the purpose of the letter should always go in the first paragraph, the second paragraph should be all about what a wonderful experience you have had at the company. If you want to make it a bit longer, add a third paragraph that will detail what kind of person would do best filling your position. Any additional thoughts can be included in supporting paragraphs.

Leave Open Any Future Relationships

Always make sure to thank the company for allowing you to be a part of their team and leave open any future relationships. While many people retire early, they may need a part time position in the future and leaving the door open for tomorrow is not a bad idea. End your letter with “sincerely” and sign including your professional title. Make sure to also put your contact information should they need to email or get a hold of you regarding the letter or future business. Here is a sample of a early retirement letter.

Sample 1 - Early Retirement Letter

June 29, 2013

DayMar Construction
12987 McCarty Lane
Powell, Ohio 43065
Attn: Karen Rhineheart HR Department

Subject: Retirement of Robert Hash

Dear Karen,

I have proudly served DayMar Construction for more than 25 years. I am sorry to say that I have come to the point in my life where I must take my retirement. Thought I understand this is a bit earlier than anticipated, there are many things that have pushed me to make this decision. My last day of work will be July 26, 2013. I find that this retirement is bittersweet, as I am excited to start a new chapter in my life but sad to end another one.

DayMar has been one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Though I started out as a lowly foreman, I quickly worked my way up into a supervisor’s position. I have found over the years that the company has always been good to their employees and made sure that we were taken care of financially. I have enjoyed working for a family oriented company that values the family unit.

When looking for a new supervisor to fill my position, please take into consideration the long hours and dedication this position takes. The perfect person will be someone who has already had previous supervisory skills and is not afraid to face great stress and opposition. I would be willing to help in the hiring process and finding someone with DayMar that can fill my shoes.

I once again want to express my gratitude for having such a great company to be a part of. I feel blessed beyond measure that I got to be a part of such a great team.

Sincerely,

Robert Hash
Maintenance Supervisor

Follow - Us